Last Updated: Sept 9, 2017
Thank you for using buddy!
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are three general categories of information we collect.
1.1 Information You Give Us.
We collect information you share with us when you use the buddy Platform.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an buddy Account, we require certain information such as your name, email address, and date of birth.
- Profile Information. To use certain features within the buddy Platform, we may also ask you to complete a profile, which may include your address, phone number, and gender. Certain parts of your profile (like your profile picture, first name, and description) are a part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- Other Authentication-Related Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, we may collect identification (like a photo of your government-issued ID) or other authentication information.
- Payment Information. We collect your financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) when you use the Payment Services (Stripe) to process payments.
- Communications with buddy and other Members. When you communicate with buddy or use the buddy Platform to communicate with other Members, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Address Book Contact Information. You may choose to import your address book contacts or enter your contacts’ information manually to access certain features of the buddy Platform, like inviting them to use buddy.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your buddy Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, or use other features of the buddy Platform.
1.2 Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the buddy Platform.
When you use the buddy Platform, we collect information about the services you use and how you use them.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the buddy Platform, such as the pages or other content you view, your searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions on the buddy Platform.
- Location Information. When you use certain features of the buddy Platform, we may collect different types of information about your general location (e.g. IP address, zip code) or more specific location information (e.g. precise location from your mobile GPS & BLE). Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu.
- Log Data. We automatically collect log information when you use the buddy Platform, even if you have not created an buddy Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the buddy Platform (including links to third party applications), IP address, access times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information (e.g., crashes, browser type), and the page you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the buddy Platform.
- Transaction Information. We collect information related to your transactions on the buddy Platform, including the date and time, amounts charged, and other related transaction details.
1.3 Information We Collect from Third Parties.
We may collect information that others provide about you when they use the buddy Platform, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the buddy Platform.
- Third Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to your buddy Account with a third party service (e.g., Facebook, WeChat), the third party service may send us information such as your registration and profile information from that service. This information varies and is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Your References. If someone has written a reference for you, it will be published on your buddy public profile page.
- Background Information. For Members in Australia, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, buddy may obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations. For Members outside of Australia, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, buddy may obtain the local version of background or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or fraud detection information, from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the buddy Platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
2.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the buddy Platform.
- Enable you to access and use the buddy Platform.
- Enable you to communicate with other Members.
- Operate, protect, improve and optimize the buddy Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Personalize or otherwise customize your experience by, among other things, ranking search results or showing ads based on your search, booking history, and preferences.
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, such as updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
- If you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may use and store this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection.
2.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment.
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct investigations and risk assessments.
- Verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Business address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide).
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our users and enforce our agreements with third parties.
- Enforce our Terms of Service, Payments Terms, and other policies.
2.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing.
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your communication preferences (including information about buddy or partner campaigns and services).
- Personalize, measure, and improve advertising.
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by buddy or its third party business partners.
3. SHARING & DISCLOSURE
3.1 With Your Consent.
We may share your information at your direction or as described at the time of sharing, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your buddy Account.
3.2 Sharing between Partners and Users.
To help facilitate bookings, we may share your information with other Members as follows:
- When you as a User submit a booking request, certain information about you is shared with the Partner, including your full name, your cancellation history, and other information you agree to share. When your booking is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the trip, like your phone number.
- When you as a Partner have a confirmed booking, certain information is shared with the Guest to coordinate the booking, such as your full name, phone number, and business or activity address.
- When you as a Partner invite another Member to become a User, you authorize the User to access your information and Member Content, including but not limited to certain information like your full name, phone number, Business address, and email address.
We don’t share your billing and payout information with other Members.
3.3 Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
The buddy Platform lets you publish information that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, your description, and city, are publicly visible to others.
- Public Listing pages are publicly visible and include information such as the Business or Activities approximate location (neighbourhood and city), Listing description, calendar availability, aggregated demand information (like page views over a period of time), and any additional information the business chooses to share.
- After completing a booking, Users and Partners may write reviews and rate each other. Reviews are a part of your public profile page.
- If you submit content in a public forum or social media post, or use a similar feature on the buddy Platform, that content is publicly visible.
Information you share publicly on the buddy Platform may be indexed through third party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your Account settings. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
3.4 Service Providers.
3.5 Additional Services by Partners.
Partners may use third party services available through the buddy Platform to assist with managing their business or providing additional services. Partners may use features on the buddy Platform to share information about the User (User name, User phone number, and User anonymized email address) with that third party service provider for the purposes of coordinating the stay, managing the business, or delivering other services.
3.6 buddy Payments.
buddy Payments may share your personal information to: (i) provide the Payment Services, (ii) facilitate your use of the buddy Platform, and (iii) jointly market products or services to you with other financial third parties with whom buddy Payments has a formal agreement. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving such marketing communications in your Account settings.
3.7 Safety and Compliance with Law.
buddy may disclose your information to courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with legal process and to respond to claims asserted against buddy, (ii) to respond to verified requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iii) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service or other agreements with Members, (iv) for fraud investigation and prevention, risk assessment, customer support, product development and debugging purposes, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of buddy, its employees, its Members, or members of the public.
We will attempt to notify Members about these requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon buddy property, its Members and the Platform (collectively, “Risk Scenarios”). In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact if we determine in good faith that we are no longer legally prohibited from doing so and that no Risk Scenarios apply.
4. THIRD PARTY PARTNERS & INTEGRATIONS
The buddy Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). buddy doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, buddy, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
5. YOUR CHOICES
5.1 Access and Update.
You may review, update, or delete the information in your buddy Account by logging into your buddy Account and reviewing your Account settings and profile.
5.2 Account Cancellation.
Note that information that you have shared with others (like Reviews or forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the buddy Platform in association with your first name, even after your buddy Account is cancelled.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. However, the Internet is not a 100% secure environment so we can’t guarantee the security of the transmission or storage of your information.